IS claims deadly Kuwait mosque bombing
The IS-affiliated group in Saudi Arabia, calling itself Najd Province, said militant Abu Suleiman al-Muwahhid carried out the attack on the mosque, which it claimed was spreading Shiite teachings among Sunni Muslims.
IS, a radical Sunni Muslim group, considers Shiites to be heretics.
Medics said the suicide bombing killed “at least 13 people, while 25 others were hospitalised.”
Najd Province claimed similar bombings against Shiite mosques in Saudi Arabia in recent weeks.
Last month, the group claimed two deadly bombings against Shiite mosques in Saudi Arabia, both of which took place during the weekly Friday prayers.
IS has also claimed several such attacks against Shiites in Yemen, the last of which was just a week ago.
On June 17, it claimed five simultaneous bombings at Shiite mosques and offices in Sanaa that killed at least 31 people and wounded dozens.
But Friday’s attack is the first of its kind in oil-rich Kuwait.
No comments yet