Joshua-Wilder deal a non-starter, says Hearn
The Matchroom head honcho revealed talks between Joshua and Deontay Wilder had failed to ignite despite several attempts.
Hearn, alongside son Eddie, held hopes of securing an undisputed unification for April 13. Wilder, though, is fully concentrated on a rematch with Tyson Fury.
Wilder shared one of the Fights of the Year with Fury last month. The vast majority of the boxing community want a second helping.
Speaking on Joshua’s next fight and communications with Deontay Wilder’s team, Hearn told Love Sport Radio: “We would desperately love to fight Deontay Wilder in Wembley on April 13.
“We have offered him successively more and more. Not just guarantee money, but percentage money.
“It will generate many times more than he has ever earned in his life. But there’s a certain level beyond which we won’t go because AJ is the A-side.
“Unfortunately to report that so far despite three, four emails, dozens of phone calls. We haven’t had one response from Deontay Wilder’s team.
“So sooner or later you take the hint that maybe they don’t want us that bad. But then they’re also, I guess, planning a Tyson Fury rematch,” he added.
Joshua is set to turn his attention to a clash with Dillian Whyte before lining up Jarrell Miller and Kubrat Pulev in a busy 2019.
With Wilder and Fury focused on each other. Joshua looks out of the picture for the winner until at least 2020.
A draw in the first Wilder versus Fury offering means three encounters are likely to take place before Joshua is sought out for all the marbles.
Las Vegas is the current frontrunner for the return, with the UK possible to host a third fight.
Staging the bouts in the opposite order is also a consideration as negotiations get set to continue after the holiday period.