Ex-Chelsea doctor Carneiro to sue Mourinho – report
It follows last week’s reports that Carneiro’s lawyers had served notice on the club that she intends to seek a claim for constructive dismissal.
The additional, individual claim would oblige Mourinho to appear in person before an employment tribunal, unless an out-of-court settlement could be reached, potentially leaving him personally liable for damages.
Carneiro left Chelsea in September after being removed from first-team duties.
Mourinho had rebuked her and physiotherapist Jon Fearn for running onto the pitch to treat Eden Hazard during his side’s 2-2 draw with Swansea City on the season’s opening day, which temporarily left Chelsea with nine players.
Carneiro’s reported claim against Mourinho is further bad news for the 52-year-old, whose position is under scrutiny after Chelsea lost six of their first 11 Premier League games and slumped to 15th place in the table.
To date Chelsea have repeatedly stated that they will not comment on internal staffing matters.
Mourinho said that Carneiro and Fearn had been “impulsive and naive” by going onto the pitch to treat Hazard, but the Premier League Doctors’ Group said failure to do so would have been a breach of their care of duty.
Mourinho was cleared by the Football Association of making discriminatory remarks to Carneiro, but she complained that she had not been asked by the FA to make a statement about what had happened.
“I was surprised to learn that the FA was allegedly investigating the incident of August 8 (the date of the Swansea game) via the press,” Carneiro said. “I was at no stage requested by the FA to make a statement.
“I wonder whether this might be the only formal investigation in this country where the evidence of the individuals involved in the incident was not considered relevant.”
No Comments yet