Evicted Ayobo allottees get fresh land allocation
RELIEVE may have come the way of more than 2, 000 Ayobo allottees, under Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos, whose homes were demolished between July and August 2007, by the immediate past administration in Lagos, the state government has commenced the process of reallocating the victims.
The victims’ homes had been demolished over the pretext that the location where the property was situated is government acquisition landed property.
After going through series of checks, close to 700 of those affected have been shorted for reallocation. However, as at last week, about 200 out of the number had received the new allocation paper from the government.
In a letter signed by the Executive Secretary, Land Use Allocation Committee (LUAC), Messrs Olukayode Ogunnubi, titled “Allocation of State Land at Ayobo Residential Scheme (Extension), dated September 21, 2015, 90 days was giving for the beneficiaries to meet certain conditions.
According to the allocation letters, allottees are advised to obtain clearance from the Executive Secretary before lodgment of the certified cheques to the bank, (one of the conditions to meet), failing of which the allocation/payment may be nullified.
Besides, it was also forbidden for any allottees to alienate or sublet the plot in part or wholly without prior written consent of the state governor and that payment must be made within 90 days of the notice of the letter.
While most allottees are still in joyous mood over the development, relations and dependants of those that are no longer alive are at lost on what to do in view of the condition that allottee was not allowed to alienate or sublet the plot in part or wholly without prior written consent of the state governor.
Their fears stem from the reality that civil service is encumbered with a lot of bottlenecks. “To see the governor is not all that easy. Besides, correspondence may take many months, if not years to reach the Governor. This is part of our fears”, said relatives of dead allottees who spoke with The Guardian, on condition of anonymity.
Some also want government to either reduce the money to be paid “in view of colossal loss we had incurred when our houses was demolished”, pleaded some allottees.
The detail payment is as follows: Amount ground rent N7,200; Normal Premium, N180,000; Stamp Duty/administrative charge, N25,000; Registration/Conveyance fees N25,000, making it “Total 1st year land charges, N237,200!
However, major concern of the allottees was a particular proviso in the letter, paragraph 4, that states thus: “This allocation is subject to other implied and expressed conditions for allocation of State Land under the State Law Cap. 130 Laws of Lagos State, and the Land Use Decree No.6 of 1978”.
To those who are not educated, this clause is of concern because it is possible for the officials to hide under the provision and do the unexpected.
But contrary to their fears, officials are of the view that Governor Akinwunmi Ambode “is too compassionate” to create hindrance to the smooth possession of the allocated land.
“In the first instance, if the Governor doesn’t have the interest of people at heart, he would not approve the allocation letter.
“People should realize that the issue on ground is official matter with legal implication that could not be done otherwise. However, there is nothing to fear as very thing was done in good faith”, said an official in Land Bureau.
It would be recalled that over 2,000 residents, mainly landlords of Orisumbare phase two Ishefun in Ayobo Local Council Development Area (LCDA), after the demolition exercise, have been pleading with government to rescind its decision, but it was to no avail, despite their claims and presentation of genuine legal documentations. The then Special Adviser in the office of Governor Babatunde Fashola, Mr. Sunny Ajose, told them that, “as far as the state government was concerned, the area was still unoccupied”.