‘Why DSS still lays siege to Dasuki’s house’
Despite denial that no siege was laid to Col. Sambo Dasuki’s house, operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) have continued to hold the former National Security Adviser (NSA) hostage.
It was gathered at the weekend that the fresh move against Dasuki is to ensure that he does not travel outside the country until certain investigations are concluded and the report submitted to the government.
Meanwhile, a lawyer has condemned alleged continued violation of the rights of Dasuki and disregard for a subsisting court order.
For the fourth day running, Dasuki’s house on No 13 John Kadiya Street in Asokoro, Abuja has been closely watched by personnel of the security agency, restricting the movement of not only the retired military colonel, but that of other people coming into the residence.
In the day time, two unmarked black Nissan double cabin pick-up trucks used as operational vehicles are parked at the end of the street, with men of the service wearing black branded t-shirts and face caps, armed, sitting and waiting, as other disguised operatives casually patrol the street. At night, one of the vehicles is stationed at the entrance to the street, near the Plateau State Governor’s lodge, and some of the personnel of the service take over as gatemen to most of the adjoining houses.
A source at the SSS headquarters, at the weekend, told The Guardian on condition of anonymity that the plan is to ensure that Dasuki doesn’t leave the country until the report of the Presidential Arms Procurement Committee is out. If the report contains proofs of impropriety and misappropriation of funds, Dasuki can be properly prosecuted, being the NSA, who’s responsibility it was to carry out such duties as spelt out by law.
“By Monday (today), a court order would be obtained that will grant us access to seize his travel documents again. It would take a few weeks to have it released to him again, and by then, the investigations of the committee may have been completed and the report ready, so do the maths. He will not be allowed to go out till then,” the source said.
The siege was reported by the media last week, but the DSS in a late statement on Thursday, signed by one Tony Opuiyo, denied it. “The report making rounds that DSS operatives illegally blocked the residence of the former National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki (Col/rtd), in violation of a subsisting court order granting him a relief to travel oversea for medical services is not only unfounded and malicious but aimed at tarnishing the good image of the Service,” the statement.
The lawyer in Abuja, Yunus Abdulsalam, said it is gradually becoming obvious that Dasuki who served under former President Goodluck Jonathan is a victim of persecution, as the DSS has been speaking from both sides of its mouth, in search of incriminating charges against him, as the need to comply with the law in the course of discharging their duties.
While reiterating the sense in fighting corruption in Nigeria in order to move the country forward, Abdulsalam said “it is imperative to state that flagrant violation of constitutional provisions which is the substratum of any egalitarian society poses the greatest challenge to the anti-insecurity and corruption wars.”
No Comments yet