News  |  Nigeria  |  National  

Suspected Boko Haram insurgents kill three in fresh Borno attack

By Njadvara Musa, Maiduguri   |   21 February 2017   |   3:34 am  

Boko Haram

• Military arrests 121 insurgents, MSF builds 50-bed therapeutic centre for IDPs

Suspected Boko Haram insurgents have attacked Yaza-Kumaza village in Borno state, killing three people and injuring nine others.The insurgents, according to Simda Izge, a local vigilante, bursted into the village, while fleeing Sambisa Forest on the southern flank on Sunday.

“The fleeing insurgents were venting their anger on our people here in this village, located on the fringe of Sambisa Forest. We had to flee to safety, after they killed three of our people yesterday,” said Izge on how the village was attacked.

Local security sources also confirmed that the incident occurred at about 4p.m. Sunday, while the villagers were returning from their farmlands.
Yusuf Isa, local vigilante in a telephone interview yesterday in Maiduguri said that many villagers, who fled into nearby bushes as the attackers opened fire, had not returned home by 10p.m.

“A Boko Haram group entered Yaza-Kumaza which is very close to Lassa town and killed three people,” he said. “Many people have escaped into the bush and up till now it is only few people that have return to the attacked village after the Boko Haram gunmen had left,” said Isa.

He said most of the houses in the village were looted, including livestock into their pickup trucks.The Police and the military yesterday however, did not confirm the Sunday attack on Yaza-Kumaza.

Meanwhile, the Commander of 301 Artillery Regiment of Nigerian Army, Brig-Gen, Zakari Abubakar said that 39 Boko Haram suspects, 40 aliens and 42 Kalare boys were arrested in various parts of Gombe State in 2016.

Abubakar disclosed this in Gombe during the Nigerian Army West African Social Activity (WASA) yesterday.He said that the military has gone hi-tech and revolutionised, which led to the arrest of the 121 suspects over terrorism, kidnapping and cattle rustling.

Abubakar called on members of the public to offer them greater co-operation and collaboration by volunteering information, as the Army cannot do it alone.

In another development, the Médecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) or doctors without border has opened a 50-bed nourishment and therapeutic feeding centre for children displaced and affected by insurgency in Maiduguri.The Maiduguri Fori District Feeding Centre brings to three such humanitarian facilities in the affected states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe.

Field Coordinator of MSF, Cathy Hansen disclosed this yesterday in Maiduguri, while attending to 45 affected children from three camps with undernourishment.

She said that last year large-scale undernourishment among displaced children was discovered in several internally displaced persons (IDPs) camps in Borno State.

In this article:
Boko Haram


You may also like