Nigerian Army Denies Losing Soldiers
THE authorities of the Nigerian Army has denied reports of the lost of about 105 soldiers of the 157 Division fighting the Boko Haram sect in the Northeast, saying what happened was “a slight set back” that is not strange during military operations.
The acting Director of Army Public Relations, Col. Sani Usman, said in a five-line message that the troops reported to be missing have rejoined their Commanding Officer (CO) and they are together, while the situation had been brought under control.
There were media reports that over 100 soldiers were missing following the sect’s attack in Gudunbali in Borno State on Wednesday, as a result of which the unit could not account for at least 105 soldiers, including their CO, with the terrorists capturing a T-72 Tank, as well as several artillery weapons from the unit.
The Army spokesman did not state categorically if an attack really took place or whether soldiers were actually missing before rejoining their CO, but he said the report was blown up out of proportion.
“Troops operating in the northern Borno State towns of Gudunbali and Kareto had slight setback within the week.
“However, the situation has being stabilised. The troops have rejoined their units for further action.
“The earlier media reports were exaggerated. The CO is right now with his soldiers. It is just a minor setback and such are common in military operations. May God help us all.”
Usman refused further comments on the matter, emphasising that reports of this nature are better confirmed with the authorities before going to press, adding that it is too sensitive to put across wrong information for public consumption.