NERC fines Abuja Disco N18m over electrocution of eight-year old
FOR alleged negligence leading to the electrocution of an eighth -year old child, Faithn Yakubu , the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has fined the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) N18 million.
Faith Yakubu was allegedly electrocuted at Anguwan Dodo, Gwagwalada, FCT.
The accident allegedly occurred when a staff of AEDC disconnected the wire feeding the Yakubus’ residence over allegation of accumulated bills and left the wire lying on the ground even as he failed to disconnect supply from the transformer.
The deceased, in her innocence, was said to be running an errand with a four month old baby boy strapped on her back, grabbed the wire in an attempt to cross over the naked wire when she got electrocuted.
The baby on her back survived the accident.
In a resolution sent to newsmen, NERC upheld the recommendations of its Panel Report of Accident Investigation which found the distribution company liable of negligence. The resolution noted: “AEDC shall pay Eighteen Million Naira (N18, 000, 000. 00) as compensation to the family of Faith Yakubu and communicate same to the Commission accordingly.
“AEDC should ensure that the surviving four month old child undergoes medical check up in a recognised hospital and evidence presented to the Commission for further directives.”
The electricity distribution company was directed to carry out regular safety enlightenment campaigns in accordance with the Nigeria Electricity Safety Manual and Nigeria Electricity Safety Code.
AEDC was told to adequately train its staff on market regulations as well as ensure that its Marketing Units are provided with competent technical staff with the sole responsibility of carrying out the function of connection and disconnection of customers when all conditions for disconnections in line with NERC’s regulations have been met.
No Comments yet