Kuwait arrests mosque bombing suspects
Among those detained is the owner of the vehicle which a suicide bomber used to get to a Shi’ite Muslim mosque where he blew himself up, killing 27 and wounding 200 people.
Militant group Islamic State claimed responsibility for the country’s worst militant attack, one of three attacks on three continents that day apparently linked to hard line Islamists.
In Tunisia, a gunman killed 37 people including Western tourists on a beach, and in France a decapitated body was found after an attacker rammed his car into a gas container, triggering an explosion.
The interior ministry said it was now looking for the driver who vanished shortly after Friday’s blast.
Kuwait has been spared the rampant violence in neighboring Iraq and recent spate of Islamic State bombings of Shi’ite mosques in Saudi Arabia, another neighbour.
A security source said `numerous arrests’ had been made in connection with Friday’s bombing, which government officials said was intended to stir enmity between Kuwait’s Sunni majority and Shi’ite minority.
Two Iranian nationals were among those killed, foreign ministry spokeswoman, Marzieh Afkham, was quoted as saying by Iranian state media on Saturday.
No comments yet