Kidnappers of Ekiti monarch demand N20m ransom
• Olujimi condemns cult killings in state, seeks investigation
• Police arrest another 34 suspects
The abductors of the Obadu of Ilemeso-Ekiti, Oba David Oyewumi, have demanded N20 million ransom from the family for the monarch to regain his freedom.
A family source told newsmen in Ado-Ekiti, yesterday, that the gunmen contacted the family on Saturday evening and made the financial demand.
The source said: “We have been contacted. They called us around 7.03 p.m. on Saturday and demanded that we pay N20 million for the king to be released.”
The Police Public Relations Officer, Ekiti Command, ASP Sunday Abutu, said that the police and other security agencies were making frantic efforts to rescue the monarch from captivity.
IN another development, the senator representing Ekiti South, Mrs. Biodun Olujimi, has condemned in strong terms, the killing of six persons by rival cult clashes at Ikere-Ekiti, Ikere Local Council of the state, saying that the perpetrators must be brought to justice.
In a statement she personally signed in Ado-Ekiti, yesterday, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain described the incident as condemnable, unacceptable and alien to the behavioural pattern of peace-loving people of Ekiti State.
MEANWHILE, more suspects were, yesterday, apprehended by the police in the state in connection with Sunday’s bloody cult clash in Ikere-Ekiti.
Abutu, who confirmed the arrest to newsmen in Ado-Ekiti, said those arrested made the total number of suspects so far in the command’s custody to rise to 45.
The police had earlier on Sunday announced the arrest of 10 suspects in connection with the brutal killings.
The CP said that the clash occurred between Saturday night and the early hours of Sunday.
He said the bloody cult clash was caused by “rivalry and show of strength” between the two cult groups.