Gunmen release expatriate contractors kidnapped in Niger Delta – police
Seven contractors, including three Australians and a South African, have been released unharmed four days after they were kidnapped by gunmen in southern Nigeria, the police and a state security adviser said on Sunday.
Reports say police had earlier given accounts of how many had been seized and what their nationalities were, and that they all worked for cement company Lafarge on the outskirts of Calabar, Cross River State, in the Niger Delta.
Cross River State Commissioner Jimoh Ozi-Obeh said they were released “unhurt” on Sunday but gave no further details.
The state governor’s security adviser, Jude Ngajim said five expatriates and two Nigerians had been released.
“They are safe and sound,” he said, noting that a doctor had made medical checks and pronounced them “fit and sound”.
Kidnappings of foreigners are common in the region, which holds most of the OPEC member’s crude oil and contributes about 70 per cent of national income.
Nigeria has remained Africa’s top oil producer until a recent spate of attacks on oil facilities.
Lafarge, Africa and Australian contractors Macmahon Holdings Ltd could not immediately be reached for comment.