FG pledges to support victims of S/Gari market fire disaster
The Federal Government on Saturday pledged to assist victims of the Sabon Gari market fire disaster in Kano state.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that more than 3,800 shops were and property estimated at several millions of Naira was lost to the inferno.
The Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, made the promise while addressing some of the affected traders in Kano.
He said the federal government would help in every way to support the affected traders to rebuild their shops with a view to resume their businesses.
“We will make sure that we provide and support you with what we have to ensure that people do not suffer.
“I am here to bring greetings from President Muhammadu Buhari and to tell you that he is with you and standing with you even at this trying moment,” he said.
He noted that even though there was a lot to be done to rebuild the market, but the federal government would support the state government to make the market a modern one.
The vice president, who commiserated with the traders, prayed God to prevent future occurrence and replenish their losses.
He commended the State Government for steps it had taken so far to ensure that the victims were relocated and commenced their businesses.
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje had earlier said the state government had identified 7,000 shops and paid N70 million as one year rent for the petty traders to enable them resume business activities.
“The state government is also renovating access roads and will provide fire fighting equipment and other facilities in the market,” Ganduje said.
According to him, the government will establish a court in the market to try erring traders.
No Comments yet