B’Haram kills 21 in fresh Yobe attack, military receives 1,000 desert shirts, others to fight insurgency
OVER a dozen of suspected Boko Haram gunmen in a convoy of Toyota Hilux vehicles and motorcycles laden with explosives yesterday attacked Bultaram Village in Gujba Local Council of Yobe State killing 21 people who attempted to return to the village to evacuate their abandoned foodstuff and livestock.
According to the council official, who does not want to be identified because of security reasons, on phone yesterday in Damaturu said: “The insurgents did not “torch or destroy” the houses, but shot dead 21 villagers who returned to evacuate their food items and live animals abandoned last February.
“When 21 of the villagers were returning to evacuate their food items, they were however stopped in the village by these armed insurgents; and shot each one of them at close range. It was one of the escaped villagers that informed me on phone yesterday.”
Meanwhile, as the fight against insecurity in the North-East continues, the Nigerian Army yesterday received desert shirts and other logistics to boost the ongoing operation.
The items, presented by Support Our Troops Foundation to the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Kenneth Minimah at the Army Headquarters in Abuja yesterday, include 1,000 desert shirts and data storage devices, popularly called USB, among others.
Minimah, who was represented by the Chief of Logistics, Army, Maj.-Gen. Bamidele Ologundudu, while expressing the appreciation for the support to the Army shown by the non-governmental organisation in the fight against insurgency so far, said: “Everybody must face the fact. We are calling on others to also support us as this group is doing.”
Confirming the attack yesterday in Damaturu, a police source with the Yobe State Police Command, also said that over a dozen villagers were feared killed yesterday after they had wanted to evacuate their food items abandoned since last February.
“I cannot give you the circumstance that led to killings of villagers of Bultaram, but by Tuesday or Wednesday, our Divisional Police Officer will be able to send us report on what happened in that village before briefing you on this unfortunate incident in Gujba,” said the police source.
The police source also said that before the recapture of Gujba, Goniri and Bara towns by the military last month, many residents and villagers fled and took refuge in Damaturu, Potiskum, Ngelzaram and Damagum, 70 kilometres west of the Yobe State capital.
Founder of the Foundation, Funmi Ogbue, who also handed a certificate of recommendation to the COAS, said that her Foundation was encouraging the Service because of the selfless commitment of officers and soldiers and their bravery in fighting terrorism.
Ogbue, who said that they were pleased with the successes so far recorded, told the COAS that “we don’t intend to stop here because we are working hard the way you are.”