Army sacks general over Ekiti guber election
Citing the report of a panel of inquiry which established unprofessional conduct during the governorship election in Ekiti State last year, authorities of the Nigerian Army have confirmed the compulsory retirement of Brigadier General Aliyu Momoh.
Confirming the development yesterday in Abuja, the acting Director of Army Public Relations, Colonel Sani Usman, said, “yes he has been retired from the Army, contrary to reports going round that he resigned.”
The report was submitted to the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, on January 11 this year by the chairman of the panel raised by the military to investigate allegations of financial inducement to influence the outcome of the said poll in favour of incumbent Governor Ayodele Fayose of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
The panel, headed by Major General Adeniyi Oyebade, the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 1Division of the Nigerian Army, made far-reaching recommendations and suggested appropriate punitive measures.
“Two officers were recommended for compulsory retirement from the Nigerian Army, three were to lose their command and one was recommended for prosecution for collecting financial gratification.
“Other recommendations include placing 15 officers on watch list, nine officers were to be further investigated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
“While six officers were to face an audit committee and 62 officers (mostly of the rank of Majors-below) were to be given Letters of Displeasure and to appear before their respective General Officers Commanding for counseling,” the document read in part.
It would be recalled that a whistle blower, Captain Sagir Koli, had leaked information to newsmen, saying his boss compromised professional integrity after allegedly collecting financial gratification from the then PDP candidate coupled with a reported promotion promise by erstwhile Minister of State for Defence, Musiliu Obanikoro.