News  

Argentine suspects in FIFA scandal surrender

FIFATwo Argentine businessmen wanted on US charges of bribing FIFA officials have surrendered, the justice ministry said Thursday.

Father and son marketing executives Hugo and Mariano Jinkis, the owners of sports marketing company Full Play, are among the 14 football officials and marketing executives indicted by the United States in a sweeping investigation into corruption at the heart of world football’s governing body.

The pair appeared early Thursday before a federal judge in Buenos Aires, the ministry said. They will remain in detention while the US request for their extradition is considered.

Argentine sports marketing executive Alejandro Burzaco turned himself in to police in Italy last week.

Full Play held the TV rights to the South American World Cup qualifying matches and is accused of bribing FIFA officials for multi-million-dollar contracts.

The company also co-owns the broadcast rights to the Copa America, the South American football championship currently being played in Chile, with Torneos y Competencias — run by Burzaco — and TrafficSports USA, run by Aaron Davidson, who was arrested in Switzerland last month.

The father-son duo co-owned another company involved in the case, Datisa, with Burzaco.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421


No Comments yet

Related