Everything you need to live well

Grenfell Tower Hero Committed Suicide After Sending Text To Lover

By Modupeoluwa Adekanye 17 January 2020   |   9:25 am

A British Red Cross worker who was honoured for her work helping victims of the Grenfell Tower fire died from hanging hours after concerns were reported to emergency services in a report by Daily Mail.

Dr. Deborah Lamont a 44-year-old team leader with the humanitarian charity, had struggled with depression and anxiety for decades, which were said to have worsened after divorcing her husband.

The university lecturer was awarded the Henry Dunant Medal, the highest honour the Red Cross can give a member, after joining the emergency response team to the Grenfell Tower fire in 2017.

On Thursday, an inquest into her death was told, Dr. Lamont died on March 28 last year with the medical cause of death given as hanging, hours after police and paramedics were called to a hotel following concerns for her welfare.

Red Cross colleague Jim Rees, who was in a short-term relationship with Dr. Lamont, told South Wales Central Coroner’s Court he had received a string of concerning text messages from her on the afternoon before her death.

The messages included ‘at the moment life is overwhelming’, ‘I think my life should end so the pain will stop’, ‘now I think my job on this earth is done’ and ‘it’s my time’

Fortunately, they were able to reach her before she hung herself, there were pieces of evidence to show that she was about to commit suicide.

Mental health officials were invited in and they spoke with her. She showed remorse for her actions.

However, a call was received around 11:30 pm that evening by a senior officer who told him Dr. Lamont had taken her own life.

Lynda Lane, Dr Lamont’s mother, said her daughter’s mental health had deteriorated further following the end of her five-year marriage in 2006.

Dr Lamont, a systems and strategic management lecturer at Cardiff Metropolitan University, was interviewed in April 2018 about receiving the Henry Dunant Medal following her efforts during the Grenfell Tower tragedy.

Hours after the fire began she left her home in Dinas Powys, Vale of Glamorgan, and caught a train to London to join other Red Cross workers helping the Government and the emergency services to coordinate a rescue centre for those affected and the wider community.

The inquest continues.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421