Fry Your Plantains The Puerto Rican Way
Unripe plantains are nutritious, although sweet tooths find it unpleasant unless they are made into chips. But there are various ways to make this food palatable and a must-have.
Puerto Rican Tostones are unripe fried plantains that are prepared in a different way than chips. It takes care and patience to prepare and is really tasty and can be nibbled alone or combined with other food.
- 2 unripe plantains
- Vegetable oil
- In a pan, preheat the vegetable oil.
- Peel the plantains and cut them into one and a half inch pieces, sprinkle a pinch or two of salt.
- Fry the pieces and turn while frying until they are soft.
- Remove from the oil and press each of the pieces using a flat plate.
- Put the flattened pieces back into the pan and fry until they are crispy. Remember to turn each side to avoid burning.
- Serve immediately. It can be served with vegetables, tomato sauce or baked beans.