Tried The Sugar Cane Soft Serve Ice Cream?
The weekend may be far away, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still have fun during the week. Host a party with your friends after work and serve this delicious sugar cane soft serve ice cream for dessert.
- 1-foot fresh sugar cane
- 3 1/2 cups half and half
- 3 tsps cornstarch
- 2 tsps unflavoured gelatine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsps kosher salt
- 2 tsps light rum
- Cut sugar cane into 4 3-inch segments. Split each segment into quarters lengthwise, arrange cut-side up on a baking sheet.
- Cook under a broiler for five minutes, just until the cut surfaces look slightly dry. Using your heavy knife, peel outer skin away and chop cane into small chunks. Process in food processor until cane is broken up and resembles minced ginger.
- Pour 1/4 cup half and half into a small bowl and three tablespoons in another. Whisk corn-starch into the first bowl until no lumps remain and sprinkle gelatin over the second bowl.
- Heat rest of half and half in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Remove from heat, stir in sugar cane, and cover for two hours.
- Bring dairy to a simmer over medium-low heat, adding sugar and salt. Whisk in corn-starch, whisking frequently, until a custard forms and a swiped finger on the back of a spoon leaves a clean line.
- Fold 18 inches of cheesecloth over on itself and place over an airtight container. Strain custard through cloth. Squeeze bundle tight to drain out custard.
- Stir in gelatine mixture and light rum until gelatine dissolves. Set in refrigerator to chill for at least four hours. Base will form a wobbly gel when set.
- Churn in an ice cream maker until ice cream has the texture of soft serve. Eat immediately.
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421