The Ovenless Black Forest Cake Recipe
Black forest cake is very popular. Nowadays, black forest and white forest cakes are the attraction of any parties or functions, especially for birthdays or weddings. People think it’s very difficult to make at home. But, trust me, it is not.
Here is a very easy, simple super moist cake recipe which can be made in an oven, or on a stove top without an oven. Yes, an oven is not at all needed to make what will probably be one of the best cakes you’ve ever tasted.
A stove-top baked cake is moister and looks better when compared to oven-baked cakes. Speaking of black forest cake, it is chocolaty, creamy, super moist and cherry(ish) with some bites of chocolate shavings. You can also use heavy whipping cream to make it stiffer.
For the best taste, you must chill your cake before serving. When chilled, the taste is enhanced with an intense flavour of cherry and, overall, it tastes delicious when chilled overnight. So if you love cakes, try this at home whether you have an oven or not and you won’t go to bakeries for cakes anymore.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp unsalted butter
Fresh cherries – chopped for adding between layers
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 5 tbsp icing sugar
- 3 sachets whipping powder
- 1 1/2 cup cold milk
- Vanilla or chocolate vermicelli
- Fresh cherry
- Chocolate shavings (I used homemade chocolate shavings. Using a vegetable peeler, you can shave the chilled dairy milk or any dark chocolate and make your own garnishing.)
- It is always best to prepare the cream for frosting ahead of time and refrigerate it until you prepare the cake, so that the frosting will last long. But you can still make it after the cake is done. So don’t worry.
- So let’s start with making whipping cream. For that, keep the mixing bowl, wire whiskers and hand whiskers in the freezer for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Keep some ice cubes in the freezer to place under the bowl which will be used for making the icing.
- When everything is set, take the chilled bowl. Set some small ice cubes in a tray under the glass bowl. Add the whipping powder and cold milk. Whisk with electric whiskers until soft peaks form (3 minutes). Do not beat more as it will turn to butter. If you need more sweetness, you can add some icing sugar also.
- If you are using a hand whisker, then it will take more than 5 minutes to get the fluffy cream.
- You can also put them in a blender/juicer until soft peaks come out (this can be done by whisking for 2 minutes using hand whisker, then refrigerate and put in a blender).
- Store the whipped cream in the fridge until you prepare the cake.
- Grease the baking tray with butter, dust with flour and remove the excess flour.
- Beat the eggs and powdered sugar in a blender or using an electric whisker. (I used a blender). When done, pour into a big bowl.
- Now add oil to this mixture and whisk well till soft.
- Sift together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder. Add the sifted powders little by little to the egg mixture and keep on mixing until the whole flour is mixed up with the egg mixture. Add vanilla essence and mix well.
- Pour this mixture into the greased tray. The mixture should only cover the half of the baking pan as when it starts to cook, the mixture will rise.
- Heat a non-stick vessel with lid. When hot, make the flame very low and keep the cake pan inside it and close the lid. Cook for 40 minutes in a very low flame.
- Insert a toothpick after 30 minutes (for checking only) and once the toothpick comes out clearly, remove from flame.
- Allow it to cool (for an hour) and then divide it into two thin cake layers. Set aside separately.
- Level the top and sides of the cake. You can use these crumbs for garnishing the sides of the cake.
- Start icing once your cake is completely cooled.
- Spread some whipped cream over one layer, add some chopped cherries and cover it with the other layer.
- Spread the whipped cream thickly over the whole cake. The cake must look white in colour.
- Add some whipped cream into a piping bag and make your own designs. Put some chocolate shavings in the centre and sprinkle cake crumbs and vanilla vermicelli on the sides. Top with fresh cherry.
- Keep refrigerated for 2 hours for a perfect looking cake.