Scrumptious Angel Food Cake Recipe
This Angel Food cake is divine — store-bought ones don’t hold a candle to this.
This homemade cake is extraordinary, and will forever change the way you perceive angel food cake. It’s 200% better than store-bought! Soft, spongy, pillowy fluffy, and moist.
Takes only 30 min to bake!
- 1 cup cake flour (no other flour substitutions)
- ⅔ cups sugar
- 12 large egg whites only, must be at room temp (If any yolk accidentally falls in, remove it! It’s very important not to have even a little yolk mixed in.)
- 1½ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp table salt
- ⅔ cups sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Important: Do NOT grease the 2-piece angel food cake pan.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Sift cake flour and ⅔ cup sugar into a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until it forms soft peaks. Add the other ⅔ cup sugar slowly, and then beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Beating on LOW, add in flour mixture and both extracts slowly, stopping as soon as batter is incorporated. Do not over-mix. Using rubber spatula, fold in the sides and bottoms of bowl, to fully incorporate.
- Spoon batter into un-greased angel food cake pan. Gently shake to even out batter.
- Bake 30-35 min, or until the top springs back with a gentle touch, and top is golden.
- Invert pan upside down, to cool completely. Run a thin knife around pan sides, and remove bottom from the sides. Gently cut bottom away from pan.
- * Note: reduce sugar amounts to ⅔ cups each, if you prefer your angel food cake less sweet. If you prefer it sweeter, increase both sugar levels to ¾ cups each.