Refreshingly Simple Lemonade Recipe
This is the taste of Summer, right here.
If I were to think of the perfect drink that defined refreshing, Homemade lemonade would definitely be on the short list. Despite the fact you could go out for drinks with firends and have a pretty darn good lemonade, lemonade made right at home always hits the spot and you can save more for later.
Lemonade: sugar, water, lemon juice. sounds easy, right? Well, the problem is that if you just stir all of these together the sugar will sink to the bottom. So the best way to make lemonade is to make a simple syrup first, by heating water and sugar together until the sugar is completely dissolved, and then mix that with the lemon juice.
Old Fashioned Lemonade – no fizz just lemon juice, zest and a little sugar for the perfect refreshing summer drink!
Serves: 1.35 ltrs
- 3 large lemons
- 130g granulated sugar
- 750 mls boiling water + 500 mls cold water
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Ice cubes
- Start by placing 500 mls cold water in the fridge to cool.
- Thinly par (slice or peel) the rind off the lemons in strips (trying to avoid as much pith as possible).
- Place the parred lemon strips with the sugar in a heat proof jug and pour on the boiling water.
- Mix with a wooden spoon to help dissolve the sugar and leave to infuse for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut the 3 lemons in half and juice then place in fridge.
- Once the 20 minutes is up remove the parred lemon strips with a slotted spoon (or strain). Add the chilled water and juice.
- Place back in fridge and when ready to serve add the lemon slices and plenty of ice.