Grilled Prawns Suya Salad Recipe
Suya is a popular street food in Nigeria and other west African countries. It’s usually beef, chicken or other meats well seasoned with spices and fire grilled.
Next to a bar, is usually a suya stand. That’s a good and ideal business strategy for local suya vendors. With drinks flowing, so does traffic to the suya stand. It has that perfect heat to clear that unwanted hangover.
Here is a simple seafood suya with a salad side recipe that can be made in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Simple, healthy and fresh.
- 1/2 lb Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 Tablespoon Suya pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoon garlic infused olive oil
- 4 bamboo skewers
INGREDIENTS – VINAIGRETTE
- 3-4 Tablespoons garlic infused olive oil
- 1-2 Tablespoons honey balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 Teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
- Pinch of salt (optional)
INGREDIENTS – SALAD
- 3-4 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup couscous cooked according to package directions (optional)
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Toss corn with olive oil. Bake for ~15-20 minutes or until golden brown/ crispy ( in a lined cookie sheet).
- Rinse shrimp with cold water and pad dry with clean kitchen towel. Drizzle about 1-2 teaspoon garlic infused olive oil. Mix well and thread ~3-4 shrimp on skewers.
- Combine suya dry rub with powdered onions. Use this to coat shrimp on skewers.
- On a stove top grill preheated to medium-high ( charcoal grill preferable), drizzle olive oil. Grill shrimp on each side for about 2 minutes or until done.
- Combine salad greens, couscous and corn in a large bowl. Drizzle 2 tablespoons vinaigrette and toss.
- Serve in separate bowls topped with shrimp skewers. Extra vinaigrette over skewers optional but delicious.