Thai Basil Fried Rice Recipe
I love Thai basil fried rice for its distinctive taste and aroma. This dish is simple and quite easy to make at home. It also gives a break from the regular fried rice you are used to. My recipe for this simple dish is as follows:
- 1 cup of Basmati/Jasmine Rice
- 1/2 bell pepper (sliced)
- 5 shrimps (deveined)
- 1/4lb flank steak
- 1/4 chicken breast
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 tomato (cut into 4)
- 1 thumb ginger (grated)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- Thai basil leaves (1 cup)
- 2 tsps chilli paste (or more)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- Wash rice properly and boil on low heat for about 15 minutes. Transfer rice to a tray and completely cool.
- Heat oil in a wok, and add in your onions and fry until golden brown.
- Add in carrots, bell peppers, ginger, and garlic in that order. Stir-fry on low heat for about three minutes.
- Add in red chilli paste, sugar, salt and soy sauce and stir-fry for about four minutes more.
- Add in the cooked rice and mix until well incorporated.
- Add in Thai basil leaves, tomatoes and shrimps and mix lightly. Cover to steam for about five minutes on low heat.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust to taste buds.
- Serve rice and enjoy.
- You can also boil rice the day before. A day olds rice works really well.
- I added the tomatoes at the stage of the sugar, but I noticed my tomatoes got overcooked and gave my rice a distinct taste I did not like. So I have altered the recipe to add the tomatoes at a later stage.