The influential power of goal setting
“Many people fail in life, not for lack of ability or brains or even courage but simply because they have never organized their energies around a goal.” – Elbert Hubbard
One of the reasons why we are alive and exist is to achieve goals. Anyone on earth who does not have a goal (s) can be likened to a living-dead. Outcomes and goals don’t pop out of the air; there is a seed that generates outcomes and goals and that seed is called beliefs. No beliefs no outcomes. Goals can be negative or positive, for us to create positive outcomes, we need positive beliefs and vice versa.
The nature of beliefs is technical and structured. Nobody ever sits down to consciously create a belief system. Our beliefs are formed as a result of our background, stories, experiences, and motivation. These beliefs form our goals and influence the outcomes.
There is always a need behind every goal that you set. Your expectation influences your attitude, your attitude impacts your habitual behaviour, your habitual behaviour inspires your actions; and your actions produce your outcomes and results in life.
For our beliefs to be valid, it requires three supports, which are:
• Education, Experience and learning,
• Sensory Codes – how you interpret and relate to the world.
Goals are aims, purposed with desired outcomes, which should have projected dates of accomplishment. There is a technique to setting goals. Every goal that you set must be:
• Time bound
• Compatible with your values.
• Be within your control. Any goal set that is not within your control cannot be achieved.
THREE RULES TO SETTING GOALS:
1. Positive: It must be positively stated. Avoid writing or stating your goals using “I will” or “I am going to”; as this limits your abilities to achieve them. It must be stated in the present tense not future tense, using the phrase “I am”.
2. Personal: It must be personal and within your control. There are no guarantees to achieving goals dependent on a third party.
3. Possible: It must be possible. There is a difference between a goal and a wish. A lot of people have been setting wishes not goals. Goals are specific aims towards which our endeavours are directed, wishes are general aims for undefined points in the future: Goals are the endpoint of a journey, wishes are someday island. Goals are designed and specific, wishes are mere dreams. Goals are targeted and intentional, wishes are unfocused.
“Man is a goal seeking animal. His life only has meaning if he is reaching out and striving for his goals.” – Aristotle
Questions to ask yourself in order to clarify your set goals:
1. What do I really want?
2. Why do I want to achieve this goal?
3. Why is this really important to me?
4. Is this what I really want?
5. How will I know when I achieve it? How will I feel when this is done?
By giving answers to these questions and more, you are already determining how measurable your goal is.
“Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them in an unstoppable manner.” – Les Brown
It is possible for one to feel goalless and aimless in life especially when one is going through a turbulent and unguided phase of life or has failed in achieving previous set-goals. However the positive side to this is applying coaching in one’s life tends to modify the situation and convert that individual from living a goalless life to a life full of set and achieved goals.
Coaching is life-transformational and beneficial to humans. It moves you from where you are to where you want to be! The right coaching skills and technique helps to unravel the solutions to your problems from within you. These problems range from professional and career issues to relationship and personal issues. Coaching propels individuals to become the best version of themselves.
One life transforming tool for setting and achieving goals is the VSP model. It is a behavioural change model, which does not only transform lives but also contains practical steps to achieving set-goals. What other questions will help in providing clarity to your goals? What reality check tools will help you in achieving your goals? These tools and questions will be explained and illustrated during the Life Coaching and Goal Setting Class from 23rd -29th October 2017 in Lagos organised by the Olusola Lanre Coaching Academy. For enquires kindly contact us on 08077077000 or send an email to email@example.com.
No Comments yet