Olumayowa Ayodeji – my experience of studying Engineering at Coventry University
Between January 2017 and January 2018, I studied the MSc in Engineering Business Management at Coventry University. I can say without any ounce of doubt that this was an enlightening, pleasurable and defining moment of my academic and professional career.
I grew up in Osun State, South Western Nigeria. While I studied for my degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Covenant University in Nigeria, I had an internship with a consulting firm. This experience made me see a new side to engineering, the business of it. It also made me more ambitious, so I knew I wanted a postgraduate degree.
I started searching for universities and cities that would suit me. I made an enquiry to Coventry University and the response I got was quick and welcoming. The admissions team followed up with me, invited me to events and helped me every step of the way with my application.
Kudos to the Coventry University Lagos office team for their help. I made mistakes in putting together my financial documents, but they put me through last minute after checking up with them. I would advise any prospective student in Nigeria to link up with the CU Lagos office, they are angels.
Young Nigerians interested in studying in the UK should definitely consider Coventry as a top choice for many reasons. Did I apply to other universities? Yes, but I did not develop a striking connection with any other institution like the one I did with Coventry University and the city. The value for money is immense, the fees are not outrageous and you get a quality education from great tutors with both industry and academic experience.
Coventry itself is very affordable to live in. The food is cheap and there is access to lots of African cuisines. The housing is also very affordable. The city is very much welcoming, rich in culture and diverse. Coventry won the bid to be UK city of Culture 2021, what more proof do you want!
Here is my top advice for anyone interested in studying in the UK:
- Ask questions, many questions. Send emails to official contacts in your desired university early.
- Visa applications are easy but could get sticky if you do not provide the required documents.
- Apply very early, it sometimes takes up to a month to get your student visa and you often need to have met your financial requirement a month before you apply, so do it EARLY!
- Prepare yourself for the climate shock. It gets cold and rains a lot, but you will be fine!
- When you get there, do not lose focus. Study hard to get that top grade.
- While you are studying hard, embrace the culture. Do not forget to try new cuisines and make new friends from new cultural backgrounds.
- Build networks and see places.
- Have a plan. Do you want to work after? Do you want to go into further study? For research degrees, make contacts with academics.
While on the postgraduate course, I took a module on Sustainability and the Environment, which sparked something in me for sustainable engineering business practices. I have now decided to pursue a doctoral degree at Coventry University in circular economies. All of my aspirations have been shaped by my experiences on the MSC Engineering Business Management course, and I would definitely endorse both the course and Coventry University to anyone considering studying in the UK, it is well worth it!
Apply to Coventry University for January 2019
Coventry University and Coventry University London have intakes in January, May and September, find out more about courses starting this January 2019 including Engineering Business Management MSc.
No comments yet