Lagos to revamp public libraries

By Ujunwa Atueyi   |   18 November 2015   |   10:26 pm  

libraryWITH the bulk of public libraries across the state either run down or in decrepit condition, the Lagos State government says it has girded its loins preparatory to refurbishing and creating more public libraries in the state.

Special Adviser the state governor on education, Obafela Bank-Olemoh, who made the disclosure in his office recently said to maximise the benefits of reading and learning, there would be a lot of activities in both public and the school libraries in the state.

The governor’s aide who informed that the Akinwunmi Ambode-led administration would deploy much resources to the education sector, which it considers its main focus, admitted that some public libraries in the state were indeed in a shabby state, adding that efforts were ongoing to facelift the affected libraries and provide facilities needed in a 21st century learning environment.
“Government is passionate about services that impact the average Lagosian. With some of the strides made in the sector so far, it is obvious that the governor is passionate about education. The governor understands the importance of education in nation building and the role of functioning libraries in that regard.

We would ensure that we create more public libraries and more in our schools because reading/learning is very necessary. We would create good environment for the comfort of library users, we are going to be working aggressively in setting up more libraries and maintaining existing ones,” Bank-Olemoh stated.

He continued, “Presently, government is recruiting 1,300 teachers into all public primary schools across the state as part of efforts to strengthen the quality of the Universal Basic Education (UBE) programme in the state. Government has committed about N1b into renovations and furnishing in our schools. Over the next three and half years, there would be a lot of focus on the education sector by this administration.”

On the target of achieving 100 per cent literacy in the state, he said, “The Nigeria Bureau of Statistics and also the state’s Ministry of Budget and Statistics stated that 87 per cent of Lagosians are literate, meaning that they can do the basic reading and writing. But the remaining 13 per cent cannot be ignored.
“By the population of Lagos State that is almost 2.5 to 3 million people, and that is quite huge and therefore cannot be ignored. So, a lot of adult literacy activities are in focus. The Deputy Governor, Dr. Idiat Oluranti, who is also the commissioner of education, is also passionate about this, and so with concerted effort our team will move the sector forward in the nearest future.”



You may also like