Immigration recruitment scam victims task Buhari on promised jobs
Call for overhaul of supervising ministry
BARELY one month after they were promised immediate employment after meeting with former President Goodluck Jonathan, victims of the “infamous” employment test into the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) more than one year ago, on Tuesday alleged that they were yet to be issued their employment letter and have called on the new government to complete whatever the previous government started.
Besides, the victims called on the new president to overhaul the Ministry of Internal Affairs and other ministries to check the fraud and sharp practices in the system.
The Co-coordinator, NIS Victims Edo State, Edmund Osumah in a statement also alleged that the Service recently employed fresh personnel, yet the victims of the ill-fated exercise were still not formally absorbed as promised.
“They have been told repeatedly that their appointment letters were ready. However, issuing the said letters that have purportedly been ready for over a month has become an insurmountable task for the NIS officials at Abuja central command.
It will also interest you to know sir, that while even the families of the deceased victims that were shown on national television receiving appointment letters from the former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan are still at home, the NIS hurriedly organized, within the last one month, recruitment into the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) during, which their family members and friends were brought into the service with such lightening speed that at the moment, they have resumed duty while the families of the deceased victims and the injured victims are still at home.
The latest information reaching us from the high command of the NIS is that what was done for the victims before will be cancelled and that another screening was being proposed for the NIS victims or selective appointment will be given to any applicant of their chosen.
“We reject the cancellation of our screening that was done earlier and demand that our appointment letters they have been telling us were ready for over a month now be given to us without further delay as we are determined and fully ready to serve our father land in the NIS. More so, we are calling on our dear president.
Mohammadu Buhari, who had earlier, in his political campaign, promised that when voted into power as president of the federal Republic of Nigeria, he would ensure that all the victims are given their jobs in the NIS.
This promise was also adduced to when the current first lady of Nigeria, her Excellency Alhaja Aisha Buhari came to Edo State and declared, at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium where the sad incidence occurred, that when Mohammadu Buhari is voted into office as president, he will without delay give them their promised slots in the NIS,” Osumah said.
No comments yet