No backers for Brazil’s Zico in FIFA presidency bid
Zico, who in June announced his candidacy to lead world football’s governing body, must secure the backing of five national federations in order to join the vote.
But to date, he said that even his home federation (CBF)in Brazil had not yet lined up behind him.
“I haven’t been sent a letter of support. They are telling me, ‘bring us letters of support from four other federations and we will support you,” Zico told reporters in Zurich.
A technically gifted forward with clinical finishing skills Zico, now 62, played at three World Cups (1978, 1982 and 1986)and scored 48 goals in 71 games for Brazil.
Earlier this week another great Brazilian former striker the now Rio Senator Romario told Italian daily Gazzetta dello Sport that Zico had no chance in the election as even the CBF did not back him. Romario described that as a shame, explaining that Zico was non-corrupt.
Zico’s press conference came as FIFA’s executive committee meeting began at the body’s headquarters in Zurich, with a range of corruption scandals overshadowing the meet.
Zico said he had met earlier in the day with Blatter, who has agreed to step down when his successor is chosen at a special election on February 26.
The former Brazilian star said he had also met with the leaders of the American and Japanese federations, but had received no guarantees of support.
Asked about the frontrunner to replace Blatter, UEFA’s Michel Platini, Zico said the European football chief had performed well in his current post.
“If he is elected, I hope he will understand that FIFA represents football around the world, not just on the European continent.”