Chung calls for emergency FIFA congress

By AFP   |   29 September 2015   |   8:39 am  

Chung Mong-JoonFIFA presidential candidate Chung Mong-Joon on Tuesday called for an emergency congress of football’s world body after veteran leader Sepp Blatter was placed under criminal investigation.

The South Korean tycoon and former FIFA vice president said an “emergency task force” had to be set up to take over FIFA’s leadership.

“FIFA and regional confederations should consider convening extraordinary sessions of their respective executive committees as well as a Congress to set-up an emergency task force that will enable the FIFA secretariat to function without interruption,” Chung said.

Blatter was placed under criminal investigation by Swiss prosecutors last week but has since refused to stand down.

He has said he will leave office when an election is held in February.

Chung said that the charges against Blatter represented “another sad day” for FIFA. The world football body was plunged into crisis in May when the US justice department indicted 14 officials over bribery.

“The most urgent task at hand is to root out corruption from within FIFA,” said Chung.

“Investigations into illegal activities of the past should be left to the proper legal authorities. Justice must be served. Resuscitating FIFA, however, should be left to those who love football. The future of football should not be left in the hands of outsiders,” he added.



You may also like