World  

One dies as 1,500 migrants attempt to enter Eurotunnel

For several weeks, there have been many attempts by large numbers of migrants to enter the Eurotunnel premises  					                PHOTO: AP

For several weeks, there have been many attempts by large numbers of migrants to enter the Eurotunnel premises PHOTO: AP<br />

AT least one person has been found dead as about 1,500 migrants desperate to reach England made a renewed attempts to enter the Eurotunnel terminal overnight in the French port town of Calais, a police source has told the AFP news agency.

“Our team found a corpse this morning and the firefighters have confirmed the death of this person,” added a spokesman for Eurotunnel yesterday.

According to the France Info website, the man who died on Tuesday night, was identified as being Sudanese and aged between 25 and 30. The website reported that he had been hit by a lorry. 

On Monday, about 2,000 migrants had also tried to enter the terminal, causing serious delays to Eurotunnel train services.
“It (Monday’s attempt) was the biggest incursion effort in the past month and a half,” said a spokesman for Eurotunnel, which is battling often deadly efforts by migrants to smuggle into Britain.

The migrants were trying to enter the site “between midnight and 6:00am”, the Eurotunnel spokesman said.

“All our security personnel, that is nearly 200 people, as well as police were called in,” he added.

French Interior Minister, Bernard Cazeneuve, on a trip to London to discuss the migration issue, confirmed Monday’s figures, telling AFP on Tuesday: “There were some arrests and it all passed off without a fuss.”

British Prime Minister David Cameron yesterday expressed concern over Monday’s incident.



No Comments yet

Related