6 dead, many injured in Damaturu bomb explosion
Six people, including two suspected suicide bombers, have died in two bomb explosions that occurred on Tuesday in Damaturu.
DSP Toyin Gbadegeshin, the Yobe Police Command Public Relations Officer, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
Gbadegeshin said that three others were in critical condition, while 40 others who sustained various degrees of injury had been evacuated to hospitals in the area.
He said one of the explosions involving a female suicide bomber of about 12 years of age, happened at the entrance of the Damaturu main motor park.
“The girl detonated the explosive at the screening centre of the motor park gate, killing herself and four others, including a pregnant woman and a baby.
“The other explosive which went off at about the same time with the first one at Pompomari when a suspected male suicide bomber sensing he will be apprehended, ran into a nearby bush and the explosive went off killing him alone,’’ the police spokesman said.
Meanwhile, Alhaji Abdullahi Bego, Director of Press to Yobe Governor, described the incident as “sad and unfortunate’’.
NAN reports that officials of the State Emergency Management Agency and hospital staff were providing emergency support to the victims.
No Comments yet