Ekiti Proposes Life Jail For Kidnappers
ANYBODY caught in the criminal act of kidnapping in Ekiti State now risks a life jail term, courtesy of a new law being proposed by the state government.
This was contained in a press statement in Ado-Ekiti issued yesterday by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Idowu Adelusi. He said the decision was part of the resolutions arrived at the State Executive Council (SEC) meeting presided over by the Deputy Governor, Dr Kolapo Olusola.
According to the Commissioner for Justice, Owoseni Ajayi, the proposed law would help stem the tide of abductions and kidnappings that rocked the state in the few months.
Also, all moveable property used by the abductors would be confiscated by the state government. Owoseni said the state government considered the act of kidnapping, which is now rampant, as a serious social menace, which must be discouraged and curtailed with a stern penalty that would curb the perpetrators and their collaborators before it gets out of hand.
He also disclosed that the government had also decided to review the tenure of local government officials from three years to two years to enhance more effective participatory governance at the grassroots, while the establishment of the Office of Public Defenders was also considered to enable the indigent with criminal cases have access to fair hearing by providing legal representation for them.
According to the Attorney-General, all the bills had been prepared and would be sent to the Ekiti State House of Assembly in earnest for deliberation and passage into laws.
Also briefing the press, the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Kola Kolade, said other far reaching decisions taken at the meeting included the approval of Prince Ajayi Oluwasesan Omolagba of Odanaogun Ruling House as the new Oba to occupy the stool of the Alasa of Ilasa-Ekiti which has been vacant since October 1, 2012, while Prince Adetiba Jimoh Oluwagbemiga of Ogbalegbojuotupe Ruling House was approved to occupy the stool of the Ajagun of Ilumoba-Ekiti and which has been vacant since July 30, 2009.
According to Kolade, all the necessary traditional and legal rules and procedures were critically considered and followed before the approval. The Commissioner for Works and Transport, Kayode Oso, said that the State Executive Council also approved the reconstruction of the failed culverts at Iwesu River and the bridge in Otun-Ekiti, which had become a death trap to the people and commuters plying the area.