The Nigerian Moi-Moi
Moi Moi (Moin,Moin), is a traditional Nigerian food made with steamed ground beans and reach spices.It is commonly served parties,wedding receptions and other occasions.It is usually served alongside Jollof Rice, Fried Rice, Fried Plantain, Custard, Pap etc. It can also be eaten alone as a snack. This delicious meal can be cooked in various ways .It can be cooked in Moi-Moi Bowls and Aluminum foil. However the most common method is cooking it in Banana Leaves.
Here is a simple recipe on how to make this meal
- 700g Black eyed or brown beans (1 big derica tin)
- 1 Tatashe (red bell pepper)
- 1 Atarodo (scotch bonet pepper)
- 2 cooking spoonful of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree (optional)
- 4 tablespoons of groundcrayfish
- 2 large onions
- Eggs or corned beef or smoked fish (any garnish of your choice)
- 3 stock cubres for seasoning (Maggi/Knorr cubes)
- Water (as needed)
- 700g equals 1 big derica tin
Directions(Before you cook the Moi-Moi)
- About three hours before cooking the moi moi, soak and wash the beans to soften and remove the coat. When the entire coat has been removed, place the beans in a bowl and pour enough water to cover it. Leave to soak for three more hours. To achieve the best consistency when you blend the beans.
- Choose your desired garnish.
- If you chose eggs, boil the eggs and remove the shells.
- Slice the boiled eggs into small pieces and set aside.
- Now wash your banana leaves and set aside.
- Wash the tatashe pepper. Make sure you remove the tatashe seeds because they tend to give the meal a bitter taste.
- Cut the onions into pieces.
- Set the ground cray fish aside.
- Crush the stock cubes and set aside.
- Wash the scotch bonnet peppers and set aside.
- It is time to blend the beans. A very good blender is essential this purpose as the taste an consistency depends on how good the blender is.
- Blend the beans, tatashe or tomato puree, onions, crayfish, habanero pepper together with some of the water and pour the mix into a big enough bowl.
- Add the vegetable oil.
- Slowly add the remaining water and stir the mixture at the same time till you get a good mix of all the ingredients.
- Add salt to taste.
- Fold the banana leaves into a cone shape.
- Dish the Moi moi mix into the banana levaes,add egg and set them in the pot.
The length of time you will cook your Moi-Moi depends on the quantity and the Moi-Moi container you used.Cook your Moi-Moi for at least one hour, before checking it.Put a knife through it, if the knife is stained with Moi-Moi paste, then it is not done, but if the knife comes out clean its done.
That is your simple guide on how to make Moi-Moi, I hope this was helpful to you.
Enjoy your meal!.