How To Make Pizza At Home Using A Deep Dish
If you’re craving a fat, thick pizza but are not ready to leave the comfort of your home, or just want to prove to yourself that you can make a mouth-watering pizza, using a deep dish is one way to go around it. Here is how to make a pizza (or two) at home.
*Recipe makes two 12-inch deep dish pizzas.
For pizza dough
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup semolina flour
- 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus 2 teaspoons to oil bowl
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 kg Italian sausage, crumbled
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin rings
- 1 yellow onion, cut into thin rings
- 1 cup black olives, thinly sliced
- 4 cups plum tomatoes, chopped or crushed
- 1 cup pepperoni, sliced thinly
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 cups mozarella cheese, sliced
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tsps chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp chopped oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp dry red wine
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
For pizza dough
- In a large bowl, combine the water, sugar and yeast; stir to combine. Leave the mixture for about 5 minutes until foamy.
- Add half of the flour, the semolina, vegetable oil and salt. Mix properly using your hand until the mixture is smooth. Add flour 1/4 cup at a time, still mixing, until all the flour has been added but dough is still sticky.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes until smooth.
- Grease a large mixing bowl with the remaining oil.
- Place the dough in the bowl and turn to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm place for up to two hours until nearly doubled in size.
- Divide into 2 equal portions and set aside while you make the tomato sauce.
For deep dish pizza
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds while stirring lightly.
- Add the seeds, herbs, salt, black pepper and red pepper and cook for 30 seconds while stirring.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and wine and leave until the ingredients start to boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely
- Preheat oven to 465 degrees F.
- Grease two 12-inch round pizza pans with one teaspoon of olive oil.
- Divide the dough in two between the pans and press into the pans at the bottom and up the sides. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Layer the slices of mozzarella cheese over the dough.
- Divide the mushrooms, bell pepper rings, onions, black olives, pepperoni and sausage, layering them evenly across the pans.
- Top the spread up with the grated Parmesan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the top is golden and the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, slice and serve hot.