How To Make Catfish Pepper Soup In 20 Minutes
Catfish pepper soup is a delicious meal and one of the ultimate Nigerian comfort foods that’s also very easy to prepare. It is famously called “point and kill” because of how the catfish is bought at local markets; you select your desired fish by pointing at it and it is killed and prepared for you.
- 1 catfish (cleaned and cut into 4-6 pieces)
- 3 cups of water
- 1 small habanero pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 small onion (chopped)
- 1 stock cube
- 1 tablespoon pepper soup spice (can be found at a local market)
- 1 tablespoon ground crayfish
- 1 basil leaf
- Salt to taste
1. Soak the fish in a bowl of cold water, three minutes prior to cooking. This is to prevent the fish from falling apart.
2. Put the fish in a pot over medium heat and add three cups of water.
3. Season with the stock cube, salt, onions, pepper, and crayfish. Boil for 10 minutes.
4. Add pepper soup spice. Boil for additional three minutes.
5. Serve immediately.