Plant-based remedies for kidney disease
As I ended the article on “The kidneys – Part 5” under the subtitle “Diet changes,” I stated thus: “Calcium oxalate, by far the commonest type of stones, may be prevented by being cautious with foods that are rich in oxalate. Such foods are spinach, celery, asparagus, strawberries, grapes, beans, chocolate etc.” This statement has troubled one or two persons in that these foods listed are very important components of our fresh vegetable and fruit diet and we cannot do without them. My recommendation is that to prevent kidney diseases as I stated earlier, we have to drink a lot of water. By so doing, we can eat any vegetable or fruit we have to eat.
Having said that here now is a list of ten natural kidney cleansers (and supplements) and kidney stone remedies
1. Horsetail: This is a common weed, which possesses diuretic properties. It increases urine output and helps to flush the kidney and renal system. It is also a natural remedy for kidney stones. It can be brewed and drunk as tea about three times in a day.
2. Dandelion Root is a natural diuretic, which also helps, in waste elimination; it is also a kidney tonic.
3. Marshmallow Root is a soothing herb, which calms the tissues of the kidney. It is a mild diuretic and increases the urine output.
4. Celery Rod (and the seeds) is a natural diuretic. It helps to eliminate toxins as it increases the urine output. Celery root is also a tonic for the kidney tissues.
5. Parsley is both an aromatic and a diuretic. It eliminates wastes and toxins from the urinary tract.
6. Golden rod tones up the tissues of the kidneys and urinary tract and detoxifies the kidneys.
7. Uva Ursi is also known as bearberry. It is used for the treatment of urinary tract infection. It combines well with dandelion root for the treatment of recurrent urinary tract infection. It is highly indicated for the management of struvite stones.
8. Phyllantus niruri is otherwise known as Chancra piedra (stone breaker). It is a tropical plant, which is particularly useful in supporting the health of the liver, bladder and kidneys. Like one of the names indicates, it dissolves stones in any of those organs mentioned.
9. Kidney beans is shaped like the kidney, it has been found to be effective against the pain associated with kidney stones. When the pod is boiled for four to six hours and drunk after cooling through out the day, the pain disappears fast.
10. Specific vegetables and fruits that support the kidneys are spinach, celery, kale, cucumber, water melon, carrots, lettuce, orange, lemon, apples, pine apples, pears and peaches.
Some of these are naturally occurring herbs, vegetables and fruits. They can also be found in health food shops as supplements. Phyllantus niruri is a plant that grows wildly and is considered as a weed. It is also available as a supplement.
As I bring this series on the wellbeing of the kidneys to a close, I would like to present a summary of what one has to do to keep the kidneys in optimal working condition and prevent kidney diseases. Let me begin by saying that those things we can do without must be stopped. Stop cigarette smoking, avoid alcohol and caffeinated beverages. It is better to prepare your food at home than patronizing flour and sugar-based fast food outlets whose food do no other thing to your body than increase acidosis. Conditions like diabetes and hypertension should be adequately managed by those whose duty it is, the doctors. Avoid self-medication and the ingestion of fake and expired drugs. Always buy drugs that are prescribed to you from reputable pharmacies. You know I can never be tired of asking you to drink sufficient amount of water daily and the more alkaline it is, the better. Exercise often and your circulation will increase, acid wastes will be eliminated faster, the heart will be more strengthened and hypertension will reduce.
Go for regular check ups and have your blood tested.
No Comments yet